CURRENT JOB OPPORTUNITIES @ The LGBT Community Center of the Desert
Position Title: Volunteer & Outreach Manager
Reports to: Director of Programs
Compensation: Salary, Medical, Dental, and Life Insurance, 401k matching
Why This Position is Important to Us:
Volunteers are valuable members of The Center’s Team and allow us to more efficiently accomplish our mission, which is why The Center places such high importance on this newly created position. Reporting to the Director of Programs, the Volunteer & Outreach Manager is responsible for the recruitment, training, placement, recognition, and retention of our volunteers. In addition, it’s imperative The Center maintain a strong and visible presence at community events across the Coachella Valley. Utilizing our volunteer base, the Volunteer & Outreach Manager will ensure The Center is well-represented at these various events and activities.
What You’ll Be Doing:
- Work collaboratively with staff to assess organizational needs that could be filled by volunteers.
- Develop, promote, and maintain a wide range of volunteer opportunities.
- Ensure volunteers are in place and appropriately trained, supervised, and appreciated.
- Develop a Volunteer Manual to establish program policies, procedures, and volunteer
standards, volunteer job descriptions, orientation and training materials.
- Oversee the volunteer program budget.
- Develop a recruitment strategy to attract qualified candidates and recruit, interview, train, and place applicants for volunteer work.
- Coordinate all logistics for volunteer events, including:
- establishing sites and dates for project work,
- coordinating with partner organizations,
- interfacing with supporters and other community groups to recruit volunteers,
- handling phone, written, website, and email inquiries,
- securing materials, tools, equipment, refreshments, signage, and forms,
- writing and sending pre‐event confirmations and reminders, and post‐event thanks to volunteers
- working with volunteers, staff, and partners to manage/assist groups before they arrive and upon arrival to provide the best experience and minimize confusion and problems, ensuring internal communications and responsibilities of volunteers are clear, and
- tracking and recording volunteer data for seamless entry to database
- Act as a single point of contact for volunteer communications.
- Confer with volunteers to resolve grievances and promote cooperation and interest.
- Provide ongoing assistance, support, and guidance for volunteers.
- Troubleshoot problems and transition-out volunteers when necessary.
- Organize and participate in volunteer recognition programs and special events.
- Develop systems to maintain accurate records and provide timely assessments of program success, including assessing volunteer feedback received through comment forms.
- Recommend and implement changes as appropriate.
- Write letters, standard operating practices, instructions, and monthly volunteer features for various communications such as general and donor newsletters.
- Track volunteer management best practices and recommend updates to the program, policies, and standards in alignment with The Center’s organizational culture.
- Coordinate and produce The Center’s annual Info-A-Go-Go, which promotes volunteerism and engagement with LGBTQ organizations across the Coachella Valley.
- Work closely with the Director of Programs to more fully develop The Center’s Buddy-to-Buddy program.
- Partner with team members across the organization to develop a comprehensive community outreach plan to ensure The Center has a strong and meaningful presence across the Coachella Valley.
- Implement and execute annual outreach plans including volunteer engagement.
- Supervise volunteer outreach teams.
- Assist with special events as needed.
- Conduct site tours as needed or requested.
- Remain current in general office technology.
- Other duties as assigned by the Director of Programs.
What We’re Looking for:
- Commitment to and enthusiasm about The Center’s mission and programs.
- Minimum 5 years volunteer leadership experience within a nonprofit organization
- Values and embraces a relationship-driven work environment and culture.
- Team-builder who understands the subtleties of motivating, coordinating and directing diverse groups of personalities.
- Proven track record of successfully engaging volunteers and recognizing their contributions to an organization’s mission and achievements.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively with people of diverse races, ethnicities, ages, sexual orientations, gender identities and expressions.
- Excellent interpersonal, coaching, customer service, and organizational skills.
- Strong presentation, written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to handle responsibilities independently, with a minimum of supervision
- Proven inclination to independently identify problems and implement successful solutions
- Ability to make decisions independently as well as to execute assignments of administrative detail as delegated
- Experience managing budgets and leveraging resources
- Knowledge of Coachella Valley nonprofits and philanthropy.
- Reliable transportation, valid driver’s license, and proof of insurance are required
- Microsoft Excel and Word skills
- Available evenings and weekends.
Interested in applying?
Submissions must be received by Wednesday, June 3, 2020 to receive consideration.