Reports to: Director of Programs
Classification: 40 hours per week | Hourly | Non-exempt
*Weekday, evening, and weekend hours may be required
Compensation: DOE + comprehensive benefit program
Recruitment Date: July 29, 2022, until filled
Volunteers are valuable members of The Center’s team and allow us to accomplish our mission more efficiently. Reporting to the Director of Programs, the Volunteer & Outreach Coordinator is responsible for the recruitment, training, placement, recognition, and retention of volunteers. In addition, it’s imperative the Center maintain a strong and visible presence at community events across the Coachella Valley. Utilizing our volunteer base, the Volunteer & Outreach Coordinator will ensure the Center is well-represented at various external events and activities.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Work collaboratively with staff to assess volunteer needs.
- Develop, promote, and maintain a wide range of volunteer opportunities.
- Ensure volunteers are appropriately trained, supervised, and appreciated.
- Maintain a Volunteer Manual of policies, procedures, standards, position descriptions, orientation, and training materials.
- Oversee the volunteer program budget.
- Develop a recruitment strategy to attract qualified candidates and interview, train, and place applicants for volunteer work.
- Coordinate all logistics for volunteer activities and events, including: establishing sites and dates for project work, coordinating with partner organizations, interfacing with supporters and other community groups to recruit volunteers, handling phone, written, website, and email inquiries, securing materials, tools, equipment, refreshments, signage, and forms, writing and sending pre‐event confirmations and reminders, and post‐event thanks to volunteers, working with volunteers, staff, and partners to manage and assist user groups and, track and record volunteer data in database.
- Provide ongoing assistance, support, and guidance for volunteers; resolve grievances and promote cooperation and interest.
- Troubleshoot challenges and transition-out volunteers when necessary.
- Organize and participate in volunteer recognition programs and special events.
- Maintain systems for accurate recordkeeping; provide timely assessments of program success.
- Track volunteer management best practices and recommend updates.
- Develop The Center’s Buddy-to-Buddy program more fully.
- Develop a comprehensive community outreach plan to ensure The Center has a strong and meaningful presence across the Coachella Valley.
- Implement and execute annual outreach plans including volunteer engagement.
- Assist with special events as needed.
- Other duties as assigned.
Required Experience, Knowledge, and Skills:
- Minimum three (3) years volunteer management experience within a nonprofit organization.
- Team-builder who understands the subtleties of motivating, coordinating, and directing diverse groups of personalities.
- Proven track record of successfully engaging volunteers and recognizing their contributions.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively with people of diverse races, ethnicities, ages, sexual orientations, gender identities and expressions.
- Excellent interpersonal, coaching, customer service, and organizational skills.
- Strong presentation, written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to handle responsibilities independently.
- Proven inclination to independently identify problems and implement successful solutions.
- Reliable transportation, valid driver’s license, and proof of insurance are required.
- Computer proficiency including database management programs, such as Volgistics.
- Knowledge and understanding of the issues, needs and interests of LGBTQ youth, adults, families, and community, including knowledge of the spectrum of gender and nonbinary identity and issues.
- A strong commitment to the mission and work of The LGBTQ Community Center of the Desert.
- Fluency in Spanish desired.
How To Apply
The Center has implemented a mandatory COVID-19 vaccination policy as a condition of employment for all employees who work on the Center’s premises, subject to applicable federal, state, and local laws.
To apply, please submit a cover letter outlining your interest and applicable skills along with a CV/resume to email@example.com.