The LGBTQ Community Center of the Desert
Position Title: Director of Communications
Reports to: Executive Director/CEO
Compensation: $65K dependent on experience + comprehensive benefit program
Recruitment Date: November 1, 2021 until filled
The Director of Communications will be a member of The Center’s senior leadership team and be responsible for all aspects of The Center’s strategic and day-to-day communications efforts. The director will develop and implement an org-wide strategic communications plan containing measurable goals and objectives, and oversee The Center’s brand and key messages across all communications channels including website, social media, press, content development, e-blasts, development and program campaigns.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Develop and lead a comprehensive communications and marketing plan, including measurable goals and objectives based on a comprehensive analysis of Center offerings, resources, financials, internal and external stakeholders, and the results of our branding and digital enhancement initiative.
- Develop and maintain a marketing-communications calendar, coordinate communications functions and sources within The Center, and lead special projects, as applicable.
- In collaboration with a consulting firm and key stakeholders, lead the ongoing implementation of new digital assets, messaging toolkit and other elements across all organizational communications.
- Develop comms-related internal policy, protocol and procedural guidelines.
- Provide oversight, guidance and leadership for the Digital Content Manager.
- Oversee and coordinate all communications outputs including digital media (web, email, social media, video previews), direct mail, onsite communications (signage, multimedia), advertising (print, radio, TV, online), etc.
- Create a regular schedule to coordinate with and assist relevant internal departments on marketing-related matters to create necessary outputs and maximize results.
- Establish media protocols and train board, staff and volunteers as necessary.
- Plan and execute press outreach and campaigns including releases, strategic media placement and press conferences as needed. Prep ED/CEO and other leadership staff as needed. Manage all media relations to positive effect.
- In collaboration with other departments, increase Center-produced event visibility, strengthen attendance and participation in pre-identified programs and services, and increase Center membership program through targeted outreach.
- Develop a crisis communications plan; manage all breaking news situations.
- Assess and continually transform website and web channels to achieve specific outcomes and maximize effectiveness.
- Apply strong decision-making, creative-thinking, and problem-solving skills to successfully promote The Center’s mission, services, programs and events.
- Recruit, train, and schedule marketing and communication volunteers including brand ambassadors, bloggers, photographers, graphic designers, video producers, and researchers.
- Seek pro-bono services in branding, marketing, advertising, social media and public relations.
Required Experience, Knowledge and Skills:
- Bachelor degree required with concentration in marketing, communications or business preferred. Other majors, such as Journalism also accepted or equivalent work experience.
- Minimum five (5) years of related experience in marketing or communications, ideally with a non-profit and/or human/social services provider.
- Management experience, including budget creation and analysis, and staff supervision.
- Commitment to inclusive, multi-cultural programming; prior experience working with and in coalition with diverse LGBTQ and/or BIPOC communities with an understanding of intersectional oppressions.
- Knowledge of the latest technology and communications vehicles.
- Excellent written, oral, and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to work in a fast paced, dynamic and collaborative environment.
- Extremely organized with high attention to detail and ability to be self-directed; works well under pressure and moves quickly from task to task.
- Knowledge and understanding of the issues, needs and interests of LGBTQ youth, adults, families and community, including knowledge of the spectrum of gender and nonbinary identity and issues.
- A strong commitment to the mission and work of The LGBTQ Community Center of the Desert.
- Fluency in a language in addition to English desired.